M.S. Comprehensive Exam/Capstone Filing Instructions (Plan II)
Comprehensive Examination (M.S.)
For master’s students under Plan II, the final examination/capstone project is the final requirement of the M.S. degree. Each program decides the content and format of the final exam/project, which should cover the knowledge and skills reasonably expected of a master’s degree recipient in the field. A faculty committee should conduct the exam and/or direct the final project.
The student is encouraged to discuss with members of the degree committee both the substance and the preparation of the examination/project well in advance of the planned date of the examination.
At the conclusion of the exam, the committee shall vote on whether both the final examination/capstone project and the student's performance are satisfactory to earn a M.S. degree from the University of California.
M.S. Comprehensive Examination/Capstone Project Filing Procedure
- Review Graduate Division Checklists
- Please visit http://graduatedivision.ucmerced.edu/faculty-staff-resources/forms-publi... for the Ph.D./M.S. Degree Application Forms and Guidelines.
- Make sure you have submitted the M.S. Advancement to Candidacy online form at least 30 days prior to the start of the semester in which you plan to graduate in. Please contact email@example.com for the link to the online form.
- Complete the Graduate Student Graduation Application during appropriate filing period (Fall: February 16-September 15; Spring: September 16th-February 15; Summer: September 16-June 15). The application is available on the student portal under “MyStudentRecord.” No signatures are required.
- Set Date with Faculty Committee Members for examination or final date to submit capstone project for grading
- Reserve a Room (if necessary)
- To reserve a conference room or meeting space, please go to https://rooms.ucmerced.edu/#/search
- Click on EMS Room Reservation System Icon (conference table) on the right-hand side of the webpage to complete the room reservation process
- For a how to guide on reservaing a room, see EMS Room Reservation Instructions. For additional FAQ's, https://rooms.ucmerced.edu/#/search
- Examination Date
- Stop by SE2 Room 315 to pick up school-specific documents from the front desk and hand them to your committee chair. The committee chair will be responsible for submitting all forms to the SoE Graduate Staff in SE2 315 within 48 hours of the completed examination.
- Submit Forms to Graduate Division
- Make any corrections/edits to final capstone project and email it to faculty committee for final approval (please refer to http://graduatedivision.ucmerced.edu/current-students/calendar-and-deadlines )