Skip to content

Frequently Asked Questions

You must be a current UC graduate student to receive fellowship support and/or to be employed as a teaching assistant or graduate student researcher. Funding is a decision made by the graduate group (graduate chair, executive committee, and faculty advisor).

Q: I was admitted as an MS student with no funding, is it possible to apply for Fall/Spring funding?

A: If you are Masters Student admitted without funding, funding for MS students via fellowships and/or teaching assistantships is minimal. This is true for most institutions. Applying for a TA position does not guarantee that you will receive a position.

Q: How do I apply for a Graduate Student Researcher (GSR) position?

A: Graduate Student Researcher appointments are assigned by the graduate program faculty and Graduate Chair. Students do not apply for this position. Students are notified of their GSR appointment at least 1 month before the start of the semester.

Q: How do I apply for a Teaching Assistant (TA) position?

A: Teaching Assistant appointments are assigned by the Graduate Chair, Undergraduate Chair, and graduate program faculty. Students must apply for the position via AP Recruit for the current academic year. Please

note, this is a very selective process and priority is given to students who have been admitted with funding. If a student receives a TAship they will be notified 1 month prior to the start of the semester.


Q: I applied for a TA position, when will I know if I have a TA position?

A: Students are notified by email if they have received a TA position, at least 1 month before the start of the semester. If you do not receive an offer letter then you have not been awarded a TA position.

Please note, TA positions and course assignments are determined by the Graduate Chair, Undergraduate Chair, and graduate program faculty. PhD students and funded MS students are prioritized. Self-funded students are not prioritized.

Q: I have questions about my TA/GSR paycheck, who do I contact for assistance?

A: Student-employees have access to their employee information via their UCPath Portal. If you have any specific questions about your paycheck, please contact the Human Resources Payroll Center (HRPC) at

Q: I have accepted a Bobcat Fellowship offer letter, when will I receive my fellowship award? Who do I contact for a status update on my fellowship?

A: For all inquiries regarding fellowship status please contact UCM Grad Funding Please note, if you are not signed up for electronic funds transfer (EFT), it may take longer as a check will be mailed to the most current address on file for you. For any awards/fellowships you may expect to receive in the future, please set up an electronic funds transfer (EFT) as soon as possible for direct deposit.

Q: Do I have to be registered for classes during the summer to receive funding?

A: No, and you do not need to be registered for summer courses to receive summer funding.

Q: I am participating in an internship during the summer, do I have to be registered for units?

A: Yes, typically students register for 1 unit of graduate research with their faculty advisor if they will be doing an internship during the summer. You will need to complete and submit the Summer Only Independent Study Form and have your faculty advisor’s sign/approve. You can find the form on the Summer Session website:

Q: Who do I contact regarding reimbursement for research/conference travel or items purchased for research/lab items?

A: All reimbursements need to come to You must complete the proper reimbursement forms, attach receipts showing the proof of payment and your faculty approval and fund source.